Thursday, June 01, 2006

I don't know if I just didn't see the discrimination happening around me in high school or if it really wasn't there, but I never had to see the things we have talked about in class in an up-close, personal way. The only discrimination that I ever saw was not based on the social standing of the parents of the students I was in class with. Mostly, the students who got away with the most were the ones whose family had lived in town for several generations, or who had a parent on the school board. One of the two times in my life that I can think of that I was discriminated against had to do with a parent being a school board member.

But even now, at the end of my fourth year out of high school, I've not seen racial discrimination. None of my roommates have ever talked about it and I have never had the nerve to ask, and I know that it's out there, this is no way trying to say that it isn't, it is just saying that I've never had to deal with it personally.

And this is where I'm going to insert a comment that I've had in my head for awhile. I don't think it's an offensive phrase, but if someone thinks it is, just let me know and it can come down. I don't have a problem with people who are pro-African-American--in fact, I support them. What I have a problem with is people who are anti-white. And believe me there is a difference between being pro-African-American and being anti-white. It is very similar to the difference between listening and hearing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home